Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Practicing Mindfulness - Everyday Thoughts & Tips


Mindfulness is simply being aware of what is happening right now without wishing it were different;
enjoying the pleasant without holding on when it changes (which it will);
being with the unpleasant without fearing it will always be this way (which it won’t).”
– James Baraz


I've found myself being able to practice mindfulness more and more recently, and it is so relieving amidst times of stress that surround me. My husband and I have been working late hours and weekends, spending time away from each other and Babygirl throughout our busy season at work. On top of it all, I am still going to school and he grinds out the chores to keep the house clean. What time we have together in these waning summer days is brief, but I can honestly say I am enjoying every single little moment together.

I think above all, the biggest challenge to achieving mindfulness for me has been learning to be more patient. I deal with frustrated families all day at work, and sometimes it feels easier to fall into their negative energy, instead of waiting for them to vent and then working together to solve the issue. Knowing that soon enough, the stressful aspects of my day will be over and I will be home allows to focus and trudge through the task at hand.

And when I get home, I try to just let go of the stress. Transitioning by listening to music in the car helps, and so does spending time with Babygirl after work. She is a master at mindfulness. Babygirl is always finding something interesting along the sidewalk or all the way down the aisle of the store. She's taught me to relax and find excitement in the everyday. I know that sometimes I have to re-prioritize too; I can't always be completing every errand and be a perfect student, but I can just be. And that's okay.

I'm so much more satisfied with life ever since I decided to practice mindfulness. Every day is more than simply bearable, it's also a little more fun. It's not stress-free, but I feel more spontaneous and I have more love to share.

Acknowledge times of joy and be grateful. Recognize times of stress, and be relaxed.
If all else fails, just be :)

-The Yuppie Hippie

No comments:

Post a Comment