- Walker Nature Center in Reston has information about local critters, native plants and trails that are perfect for families and little learners
- Runnymede Park in Herndon also has many native plants, an open meadow, and trails along Sugarland Stream
- Explore the other parks and trails throughout the Herndon, Reston, and Fairfax County!
- If you don't mind riding the Metro into DC for a day trip, I highly recommend the National Museum of Natural History for dinosaur bones and more, or you could meet live animals at the National Zoo. And there are all kinds of other Smithsonian Institution museums and attractions in DC that do not charge admission!
- Dolly Parton's Imagination Library will send your child a free age-appropriate book every month until they're 5 years old through the Herndon Rotary Club if you live within the 20170 or 20171 zip codes. We are so grateful!
- And of course, you can browse through and borrow books from the Reston Regional Library, the Herndon Fortnightly Library, or other locations in the Fairfax County Public Library system
Other Free Resources
I love all the reading and blogging I can do online, but I am trying to reduce the "screen time" my little one is exposed to. So here is a list of alternative options for engaging (beyond just entertaining) your family. Please feel free to share any other get free resources to add to this list!