Monday, July 15, 2013

Why to Thrift


Today's post contains some tips about one of my favorite pastimes: thrifting! I love walking down to our local Goodwill and finding amazing deals on clothing for our family. I am often able to walk out with like-new items, such as Ann Taylor LOFT blouses and skirts for work, and adorable dresses for Babygirl. Here are some of the best benefits of thrifting, peppered with my tips on exactly where to go:

  • The Bargains! If you think watching Extreme Couponers is awesome (because everyone does, right? Right?), you will love the thrills of checking out with merchandise valued at $60 for less than $1. I can just imagine the narrator: "That's a 98 percent saving!"
  • Reusing and Recycling Even if they can't sell them, stores like Goodwill will recycle materials from excess or unusable clothing. ThredUp does the same, if you are outside of the northern Virginia area, or just can't get out of the house with a clothing haul. And when I'm thrifting, I love that I can still experience a bit of a shopping high, while knowing that I am preventing nice clothing from otherwise taking up space in a landfill.
  • Discounts Not only are you already getting a good deal to begin with, but DC Goodwills offer customer appreciation days, like an additional 25% clothing on Tuesdays, and 10 percent off for student purchases on weekends. I feel a little guilty taking advantage of these, but if I ever do come across some patio furniture, I would have no problem flashing my student ID card!
  • Giving back to the community Goodwill aims to help find and create jobs for people with disabilities. Thrifting can also help support small businesses, if you check out places like Small Change Consignments at Lake Anne.
  • The Surprises! Okay, I am kind of going back to getting excited about bargains again. I can't help it! You just never know what you're going to find! I love Goodwill for casual and office clothes. It's also my go-to place for children's clothing, along with Small Change Consignments (just a few dollars for a Baby Gap romper and Pedipeds? Yes, please!). Plato's Closet also has locations in Chantilly and Dulles for more casual (or as my grandma would say, "teenybopper") clothing.
Where are your favorite places to thrift? Let me know if I left something off the list!

Happy shopping,
The Yuppie Hippie

No comments:

Post a Comment