Thursday, August 15, 2013

An HONEST Review of Honest Essentials!


Hi everyone, I was SO EXCITED when The Honest Company sent me some fabulous wellness and home products to test out and share with you! Look at those adorable sample bottles - you can actually purchase these mini versions if you're curious about trying them out for your own family, or if you need something travel-sized when you're on the go. I'm think about picking up some more from the Essentials Sample Kit for stocking stuffers!

But anyway, down to the nitty-gritty... my favorite thing about these products is that they are made without scary ingredients that compromise human and environmental health. I've actually come home from the store with other so-called "natural" products only to release that they contained chemicals like sodium lauryl sulfate -- yuck! I have perused through the Environmental Working Group's Cosmetic Database to bring you what I hope will be short, sweet, and helpful reviews:
  • Honest Shampoo & Body Wash This was the first of my gifts I got to enjoy! It has an orange-vanilla scent, which I was interested to sample. It surprised me by being so mild; I truly believe it would complement the natural scents of anyone in my family, including my husband. And it gets the green light to use on Babygirl with an EWG rating of 1-- this is definitely a product friendly to the whole family! 
  • Honest Face & Body LotionThis lovely lotion has a winning EWG rating of 0! Wow! This is another great family product - smooth and soothing with a very mild scent, all of us could enjoy it without being pestered by nose-stinging, synthetic fragrances.
  • Honest Healing Balm I love the ease with which this balm spreads over my blisters. AND that it's certified organic ingredients with an EWG rating of 1, so I felt comfortable using it to sooth Babygirl's diaper areas. I would apply it anywhere that might get into her mouth (which is pretty much anywhere on a toddler!). I love the calming scent of this blend of oil from castor and sunflower seeds, shea butter and a little calendula. This is going to be a staple in my mommy bag!
  • Honest Hand Soap I was actually looking forward to discovering a new hand soap, because I love the aromatherapy benefits of the natural lemongrass scent. Unfortunately, I understand it is difficult to make a hand soap that appeals to most consumers' expectations that doesn't contain some foaming agents and preservatives. I couldn't find a rating in the Cosmetics Database for this, and I think moving forward, I might just play it safe by keeping the fabulous EWG 1- and 0-rated bar soaps on hand in the bathroom. Plus the bar soaps have options -- tangerine vanilla, lavender, and juniper sage all make thoughtful gifts too!
The Honest Company Bar Soap

And there you have it! There's also some lovely laundry soap that looks promising that's included in the Honest Family Essentials Bundle. I'm planning to do a big laundry post next week, so look for my review then! All in all, I think they're a great bargain, and I love the convenience of being delivered right to the door!

Have you enjoyed any of The Honest Company's family products? What should I try next?  Help me decide in the comments!

Honestly happy,
The Yuppie Hippie

No comments:

Post a Comment